Monday, June 20, 2011

Science Party: Inside The House


While the party itself was in the garage, we moved inside to open presents and have cake. I did want things to look festive inside and keep with our science theme. I used printables with a science theme from My Grafico to print this banner that was hung over the table. The printables also provided treat bag toppers, cupcake toppers and water bottle labels.
I sat a small table on top of Jonathan's train table and covered it with a green tablecloth. The gifts  were placed on the train table and the take home treat bags placed on the elevated table. Small mylar balloons were anchored in polished rocks in a thrift store glass container.
I took down the mantle picture and decorations and replaced them with science posters and colored water in real science flasks. Jon's microscope was placed on the other side of the mantle. I placed two folding metal chairs in front of the fireplace for the birthday boy and the person giving him a gift to sit. I like to have the child giving a gift sit with Jon so they can feel special and Jonathan can thank them.

This is the cake. I was very pleased with how it turned out!  I worked with Trish, a cake designer at a local bakery, Fantasy in Frosting. I told her what I had in mind, with no pictures except a rough sketch, and she added her input. She did an excellent job with all the details on the cake. I loved Jonathan as Einstein! That moustache just cracked me up! I also ordered two dozen cupcakes and used cupcake toppers from the printables. 

I also served mixed fruit in a watermelon test tube. This was my sister's brilliant idea! I didn't realize it would be so difficult to find an oblong watermelon! I was quite happy with the end result. It had two little mice on the top of the watermelon (charming little cheese cube holders in their real life) with little cartoon bubbles attached to each, one saying "Help Me!" and the other "Save the Lab Rats".
There was also another vintage white metal utility cart in the kitchen (sometimes it pays to be an antique dealer!) holding plates, forks, napkins and a tray of Jello in petri dishes with gummy worms. The kids really seemed to like these! Sterilized petri dishes were purchased on eBay.
The centerpiece for the table was a science experiment, too! Last summer I bought a cool tiered vase with 24 little bubble shaped vases at a garage sale for $1, having no idea what I would use it for. I added food coloring to the water and purchased white daisies, cutting a bloom for each vase. I put them in the water the night before the party and they were just beginning to draw color by party time. They were elevated on a clear glass cake
stand.

This is an overview of the table. I loved the way the aqua and orange color scheme looked.
Next I will show you some little details of the party that helped to make it special! It's all about the details!
Click on the pictures to enlarge and see the details, especially of the cake!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Tom saw the pictures last night and couldn't believe how much Jonathan has grown, he misses him!

Brenda said...

I didn't know how you would top last year's baseball themed party, that one you "hit out of the park!"
Somehow you really managed though...
everything is so cool!! You thought of everything! Makes me wish that my children were little again to do it all over. :)
I am sure that Jonathan really enjoyed his fun party!!