Saturday, May 28, 2011

Shopping for Flowers

We are really late planting flowers this year, between a busy spring and record rainfall. Yesterday afternoon we took a time out from cleaning to go flower shopping. First stop was Home Depot, where Jonathan still loves riding in their carts!



We bought wave petunias, vinca vine and million bells petunias there, along with a few other things. I love home improvement and hardware stores, but they make me want to do home improvement projects I can't do by myself and can't afford to pay someone to do for me! I especially love all the landscaping products. I'd love to have a manicured lawn full of lush flowers and lovely little "outdoor rooms", like you see in the magazines. Not likely anytime soon!






Next stop was a local florist and greenhouse, Jackson's Florist. They had some baby chickens out front (I have no idea why!) and I had a hard time getting Jonathan away from them! They were fun to watch. They were bigger than chicks but not quite full grown. We purchased a lovely hanging basket there. Now let's see if I can keep it that way all summer. A green thumb is not one of my strong suits.


We came home and planted everything while the ground was still damp from the rain, much easier to dig. I still have a few more things to buy. We have already planted some flowers, as well as a couple of tomato, cucumber and strawberry plants. Zinnias and 4 o'clocks were planted from seed and are coming up.


We both enjoyed spending a couple of hours admiring the flowers and choosing a few to bring home!

No comments: